Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sugar and spice...whaaaaa?

Sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of. For me this is particularly true. I have sugary blood sometimes. I try my best to keep my blood sugar in control but sometimes this beast called diabetes gets the upper hand. I will not let it defeat me though!
I am having a pretty rough day. It started last night when my insulin pump site got knocked out of place. It got caught on my bed sheet. I didn't think it was out of place so I didn't change it. When I went to bed with a glucose reading of 201 I felt a little panic but figured I must have made a mistake and bolused a correction dose. I woke up at 351 and knew immediately I made a mistake ignoring the first high reading.
I've spent all afternoon waiting for it to go down so I could go to work and get on with my night. I decided, while sitting on my couch that I wanted to document my struggles in hopes that it can help someone out there. I've spent many hours looking for information on one thing with no solid leads: pregnancy and diabetes. BOOM. I said it! That's right, I've had diabetes for 20 years and I want to get pregnant. 
People always had me believing that I could never be a mother with diabetes. Doctors told me it wasn't possible. Forums lacked respect of feelings about these issues. I found a small group on babycenter.com which opened my eyes to the possibility that me and my husband could bring a beautiful life into this world.
I am not perfect. None of us are. Follow along as I navigate through this process. I hope I can inspire someone to believe in themselves and what they truly are capable of even if most people don't ooze support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me What You Think!